Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Signal Boost: Geek Gab With Schuyler Hernstrom

Pictured above: Me
I make no apologies nor excuses for being a raging Schuyler Hernstrom fanboy.  (The only reason that I haven't already read everything the man has written is that I'm savoring the wait.  That, and the Puppy of the Month Book Club dictating my reading list and sucking up most of my spare reading time.) So of course I'd listen to the interview that Schuyler did with Geek Gab.

That interview, below, has only enhanced my opinion of the man.  His surfer-cool attitude towards the new take on yesterday's blender approach to sci-fi is a refreshing change from the usual fare, and his point about going off and doing your own thing and letting the CHORFs do theirs hit me particularly hard.  Stoking the fuel of righteous anger at what the...expletive deleteds, have done to my beloved sci-fi and fantasy is all well and good, but only as a catalyst for the creation of work that makes more worthy heirs to the forerunners of sf/f than the drek peddled by the people who live east of the Hudson.  As the true heirs to the throne, all we have to do is keep producing and pimping the pulp revolutionary style, and trust readers to recognize the huge gap in quality between message fiction and fun fiction.  The truth will out.

I realize this video may be old news to many readers, having dropped an eon ago in internet time - five whole days! But it's well worth a listen.  Just fast forward past Daddy Warpig's intro - his affectations taper off after a minute or two and he becomes much more sufferable.

No comments:

Post a Comment