Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017: The Year I Come Out of the Box

Even my wargames are pulp.
This rocket ship was built for
15mm sci-fi miniature battles.
If you direct your eyes to the left, over there on the sidebar, you can spot a tag in the cloud called, "wargame related". It's no secret that I'm an avid wargamer from way back. I played D&D back when I still had baby-teeth in my mouth, and even dabbled in a bit of ASL from time to time, but my true love has always been miniature wargaming.  I haven't talked about it very much on Seagull Rising because I have another outlet for showing off my painting, modeling, and wargaming talents.

It's a little blog called War In A Box, which I published under the nom de jeu de guerre, Warren Abox.  You can read a little bit about why I'm coming out of the box in this post.

The year of our Lord 2017 looks to be an incredible year. The opportunities presenting themselves to me right out of the January starting gate are mind-blowing. In addition to collaborating with one of my favorite authors on the background for a skirmish wargame, I'll be hosting a semi-weekly column over at the Castalia House blog alongside such luminaries as Jeffro Johnson, P. Alexander, Josh Young, and Morgan (the man with no last name).  The first one went live yesterday.  They've got big plans for that blog, and I'm excited to be a part of it.

To make a long story short, thanks to Jeffro, it's growing increasingly difficult to maintain a separation between my thoughts on gaming and on literature.  While I'll hang onto the moniker "Warren Abox" for the purposes of forum continuity, that alias will pretty much be an open secret between you, me, and anyone else who really cares about these things.  To be frank, I don't have the energy nor the time to sustain multiple internet personas, and opening this up should simplify everything for me on the back end.

Understand, this blog will remain largely unchanged.  I'll leave the wargame heavy posts over at War In A Box, while this blog will stay largely focused on writing, literature, and general cultural critiques, with only the occasional forays into role-playing games, board games, and wargames.

Meanwhile, that semi-weekly column that I'll be contributing to the Castalia House Blog kicks off on Wednesday.  If you've ever thought about attempting to take up the miniature and brush, but been intimidated by the front-end effort at starting a miniature wargame, you won't want to miss out on this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment